Moving to Fethiye – Ten Valuable Tips
Many of us have thought about moving to Fethiye on a permanent basis. Plus it is more viable now with people being able to work online from anywhere in the world.
And let’s face it – guaranteed sunshine for much of the year, a healthier way of life, the opportunity for a quick dip in the pool before work – it’s all very tempting. Even more so after all the restrictions we’ve had to face over the last couple of years.
Those who do actually take the plunge of moving to Fethiye often leave it until retirement, once the kids have grown up and they have the financial means to do so. However there’s a lot more to think about than whether you’ll miss family and friends.
Things to Consider Before Moving to Fethiye:
- Rent a property for several months in your chosen area before buying. This will give you a feel for full-time living in that area. It will allow you to make a more informed decision when the time comes. It is always a good idea to consider visiting your favourite area in the winter time as it can be a lot different to the summer months.
- Contact a financial adviser who will give you advice on pension transfers and what you should do with any assets you plan on leaving behind.
- If you are retiring start planning in advance of your actual retirement date. Twelve months beforehand start making lists, writing down ideas and doing research.
- Also research what is required to obtain a residency permit, a Turkish driving licence etc. In some cases paperwork such as school certificates is required and will be much easier to obtain whilst you are in your home country.
- If you plan to bring most of your belongings over, take several months to research and choose a good overseas moving company. The actual moving day will be stressful enough without having a firm who turn out to be unreliable. It is possible to buy most items in Turkey so may be more cost effective to do that rather than bring over bigger items.
- Health insurance is a big one, especially as we age and the potential for illness is higher. Although, having said that, you’ll be living a less stressful and much more pleasant and relaxing lifestyle. We’ve previously written a blog about healthcare in Turkey which you may find useful.
- If you’re planning to move to an area where your first language isn’t spoken on a daily basis consider taking language lessons. It’s a good idea to try and do this before moving if you are pretty sure of your destination. You’ll also find classes locally if you want to continue your learning.
- You’ll want to keep in touch with family and friends back in your home land so find out about good mobile phone deals. Plus Facebook, WhatsApp and other similar technologies now allow you to easily make voice and video calls.
- Practise scaling back your lifestyle a little before moving. You may not be earning when you move so your income will be reduced. Chances are the cost of living will be cheaper in your chosen destination but no harm getting into a routine prior to moving.
And Finally, Before Moving to Fethiye..
- Join some local Facebook groups. You can make some friends before you make the move. Plus keep track of day to day things that you may not have thought of. However, never completely rely on what the public says when it comes to legal matters as rules can change frequently.
As you’d imagine there is a lot more to think about for moving abroad but the above are either essential or aspects that are sometimes overlooked.
Have You Found A Property Yet?
If you have decided that moving to Fethiye is what you want to do, take a look at the properties below. If you’d like to talk to us about any of our properties please contact us here.